zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Screever - Issue 8





The Screever - Issue 8, Autumn 2015.

The Stars are a free show - Volume Two

A6, 56 photocopied pages. Compilation tape made in conjunction with The Screever zine.

£4 (for zine, tape and a patch)



Ok, I’ll be up front – I love The Screever

I love the size. It has travelled in my jacket pocket for a couple of weeks, filling the moments I want to disconnect from the constant digital push with articles, interviews and features with people making things their own way. Like Thomas Lee Rutter who is making a western based on Mark Twain’s The Mysterious Stranger, shot in Worcestershire and Barmouth. Like Joe Solo who was responsible for the We Shall Overcome events to help express collective disapproval of the government’s hateful austerity measures. Like Crow a new diy West Midlands skate brand.

I love the tape. Mix-tapes are about curation and duration, which is rare combination to find these days. It is so easy to miss the bands starting out, playing small gigs hundreds of miles away in venues you've never heard of. Those bands might be making music that speaks to you personally - how do you find them in the digital swamp? In this instance that’s where someone like The Screever steps in. The Stars are a free show features 19 mainly currently unreleased tracks including the excellently named Bratakus, who are also interviewed in the zine, The International Hookey Club, La Mascleta, and Movies, Games and Videos.

I love how The Screever has been put together with an equal amount of passion and care.

I love its attitude and inquisitiveness.


Just buy I copy, you’ll see what I mean. 




Review by Nathan Penlington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog