zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Bill's Day, Very Nice Day with Very Old Things

 
 

Sent to you by Jack via Google Reader:

 
 

via Ink Stained Hands by Bill Donovan on 6/26/09

Making a watercolor copy of a Vincenzo Campi painting from 1575 of Christ being grabbed by the guy nailing him to the cross, so that he can pound the nail in.
I picked it because, 1. It was an incredible and moving image, and 2. because Campi is really great at setting up a powerfully believable shallow forground and a dramatically framed background. This painting has so much going for it, I just wanted to pick up some "moves."
I mean, it looks like Christ is about to stand up from the surface, crazily well composed image.

Also I cleaned Roman coins, which I have been working on for about 3 years. Everyday I work on them they reveal, in a tiny incremental shift, a little more of the relief sculptures on their surfaces. It is very exciting to have a coin go from a green encrusted blob to a miniature portrait, complete with individual hairs. The faces remind me of Robert Crumb ink drawings.

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog