zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cool Notes No. 3 - UK 1982

via punks is hippies - the blog! by Slobodan Burgher on 5/27/08


This zine is part of a collection of zines bought specifically for this website. It appears to be from Leyton, the East area of London, England, UK, and made in 1982 (I think). On the front (as you may be able to see) it states: "produced by a paranoid schizophrenic with help from a self confessed Ipswich Town supporter (same thing really eh?)", the first part of this sounds like a joke but having just read the zine I am not too sure...not to make fun out of the mentally disabled, not at all, but this is one of the most self-important shits I ever read! It's all in the vein of "At least I am doing a difference" (the change is a reference to the fact that he did this obviously very important zine) while at the same time there's plenty of counter arguments to (wrongly) perceived views. It really reads like a text book example of someone who is not quite there....

...anyway, despite this / because of this, the zine reads as a sociological artifact of living in London in 1982....and it's got a Subhumans interview...

Cool Notes No. 3 (UK, 1982, 26 pages, 2 colours, insanity at large)


...erm, finally, on an admin note, this was an experiment in terms of scanning. I scanned in colour and then changed the image size in photoshop to height 6 cm which on my screen was large enough and the text was still quite readable. Now, I am not sure if this was a mistake or not. If someone could kindly download and read the zine and let me know if I need to make scans larger from now on or whether to keep this template....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog